So you’ve decided to become a business coach. Congratulations! It’s the best gig in the world! But what do you need to do in order to get your business coaching practice off the ground?
Here’s my industry-renowned new business coaching practice start-up checklist to walk you through the entire process!
(Want this in a convenient downloadable PDF? Download our resources package; it’s there for free!)
Ready? Let’s go!
1) Write a few paragraphs about WHY you’re doing this.
This helps you get clear, to yourself and your stakeholders, why you’ve decided to make this decision now!
2) Rate yourself on each of the personality traits as either high, moderate, or low.
This will give you a solid picture of where you are right now. Check out Do You Have What it Takes to Become a Business Coach? to learn more.
- Willing to Defer
- Critical Thinking
3) Buy each of these books and read them.
Start with the first and work your way down.
- E-Myth Revisited, Michael Gerber
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Robert Kyosaki
- The Ultimate Sales Machine, Chet Holmes
- Mastering the Rockefeller Habits, Verne Harnish
- Instant Cash Flow, Brad Sugars
- The War of Art, Steven Pressfield
- Guerilla Marketing 101, Jay Conrad Levinson
- The Flip Side, Flip Flippen
- 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lencioni
- E-Myth Mastery, Michael Gerber
- The Richest Man in Babylon, George S. Clason
- Cash Flow Quadrant, Robert Kiyosaki
- God Wants You to Be Rich, Paul Zane Pilzer
- Test Advertising Methods, John Caples
4) Equip your home office
At a minimum, you’ll need:
- Great internet connection
- Zoom (get the Pro version)
5) Form your corporate entity
- Register for an S-corp or LLC
- Set up a DBA
- Establish a bank account for your business
6) Set your goals
- Create your big-picture goals and vision book
- Create your optimistic/pessimistic forecast
- Develop your daily/weekly activity plan
- Establish your default calendar and follow it religiously
7) Find your outsourced help
- Find a bookkeeper
- Call Client Acquisition Partners and discuss the possibility of outsourcing your cold calling (tell them the Coaches’ Coach sent you)
- Find a personal or virtual assistant
8) Start marketing
- Make a list of at least 50 people who can refer new business
- Design marketing campaigns for three of our top 7 business coach marketing tactics
9) Master sales
- Study the 21 Silver Bullets and become familiar with what each of them does
- Practice explaining each of the Silver Bullets to your spouse or a friend until you understand and can help them understand quickly
- Get a Complimentary Coaching Session with a Certified Coaches’ Coach
- Go over the 17 steps of the 100% sales process system
- Take out the Profit Equation worksheet and practice going through it a time or two with a friend or spouse
- Study the A’s and C’s of handling objections
10) Get ready to coach your clients
- Print out the 10 Commandments of Customer Service
- Put them in a prominent place in your office
- Refer to them often when you sign new clients or run into problems
- Ask yourself how you can improve in each of the areas
Want full descriptions and explanations of everything on this list? Download our FREE ebook, How to Become a Business Coach to get the details you need!